SC - Elizabethan Noshes

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Wed Aug 26 10:13:55 PDT 1998

Good Morning All,

Sorry that I haven't been able to respond sooner but work is hell.
Thank you for all of the wonderful responses both privately as well
as on the list about suggestions for the Elizabethan Buffet.

Some comments:

> jusselle dates? take the largest pited dates you can find and
> stuff them with a mixture of cream cheese, italian seasoned bread crumbs
> and moistened with enough beef broth to make it pipe well.
> margali

These sound good and easy. I do wonder about your documentation as well
as the fact that many people around here may not try them because of
preconcieved notions. In other words some may think they're too "weird"
but I'll probably make them anyway because I'm a contrary sort.

>From Sincgiefu:

> Please check out my recently updated Gerard's Herbal page:
> http://members.aol.com/renfrowcm/gerard.html  You're bound to find some
> interesting period ideas there.
and:

> I'd add a tray of pickled vegetables & mushrooms to your list, &
> perhaps some cold cooked sausages sliced thinly.
> Maybe a tray of that quince paste confection, cut into small lozenges.

D'oh! Yeah, pickled veggies and mushrooms! I knew that! Really! Too much
work at work.

The sausages sound like a neat idea, especially with a good mustard.
I can get quince paste in the Mexican food aisles here. I may do that
since I can't get fresh quinces.

I'll check out the websites, thanks.

Master A:

> You might do a small mead, which is easier to do than root beer, and
> maybe a barley-water orange juice drink for those disinclined to do
> alcohol for any reason. The latter is non-fermented and can be done in
> a couple of hours or less.

That could be interesting. I'll think about the mead since Alys D. is a
very good mead-maker. The barley-water orange drink sounds interesting.
Basically barley soaked in water and then the water poured off with an
orange syrup? Maybe I'll do the hot lemon syrup drink if it gets chilly.
The lemon beer is popular here if it's warm.

> I gather the potted venison is a spreadable pate of sorts, to be used
> for canapes?

That was my intention, yes.

> You might want to consider venison pasties that could be made large
> and sliced, or perhaps even cooking the venison in some kind of sealed
> pot, possibly with some gelatinous stock, which would approximate the
> contents of a venison pasty that has cooled. Another possibility would
> be brawn, but in either case you'd have meat and jellied "gravy" for
> eating on some type of bread or pastry.If it were brawn, you could make
> a butt-kicking mustard... .

I will already have a couple of dishes that are cut into serving portions
so I'm not sure about this. A problem with the "jellied gravy" is once
again the fact that I'm easing a lot of Ansteorrans into this stuff and
I think many of them consider a jellied broth as meaning the roast needs
to be reheated. I personally love a stock reduced until it's jellied.

I did find an interesting note about marrow in pasties. I think a puff
pastry filled with spiced marrow would be interesting. I wonder if people
would eat it...

> Another possibility would be little chewet meat pies, probably so called
> because they are shaped like little round cabbages, and normally made
> quite small, four inches or so across. I see also you have plenty of

A thought, where is the recipe located?

> I see you also have plenty of fruit dishes; you might consider a
> vegetable pickle of some kind, even something along the lines of a sweet> cucumber pickle, for example.

See the D'oh! for Sincgiefu above.

> I confess I'm drawing a blank on Shropshire cakes...would these be
> Shrewsbury cakes, by any chance, or am I just becoming senile?

Nope, I'm becomming overworked and underslept. Although I keep thinking
I've heard of something called Shropshire cakes but probably only in
my fevered imagination.

Also one last note: I'm Evil, not Sinister. I'm right-handed.

Aiofe:

The recipe sounds interesting but I'm kinda confused on a couple of points
in the process. Sorry, I haven't had a whole lotta sleep lately. My fault.

Well, that's some quick responses over lunchtime.

Thank you for all the assistance.

Yers,

Gunthar