SC - A question of concern...

Bonne oftraquair at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 26 19:04:46 PDT 1998

Micaylah wrote:
> We have in this Canton a box of spices and herbs,
> flours, other dried goods and various snippets and hoeys kept in a rough
> tote for kitchen stewards to use at their disposal for events and other
> requirements.

We have an unofficial process of passing on leftovers to the next group in the
barony.  At least, the people that did lunch at the event before I did lunch
were happy to pass on their leftover paper goods, unopened jars of pickles,
box of little salt and pepper packets bought in bulk.  I passed on my
leftovers to the next lunch cooking group.

> It gets brought to light, oh probably, three times a year max.
> It lives in an old basement for the remainder of the time. I have a real,
> real problem with this. Am I the only one who does?

Depends on whats in it.  Miscellaneous leftovers from specific feasts probably
aren't  much use to the next cook.  I'd imagine all the planning would be done
before THE BOX appeared, so it's contents don't get considered.

<snip>
> Since I am not the only one who uses this box I cannot just arbitrarily
> throw it out (although I did go through it the other day and throw out
> several unidentified bags of crap and other old sorry looking things).

Why not?  somebody has to clean it out now and again.  Next time the box is in
your possession, place a mark on anything that you don't toss.  If that marked
item is still in there the next year, feel free to dispose of the item.
Anything not clearly labeled or well sealed, feel free to toss at any time.

snip
> When I am cooking, my
> rule of thumb is to purchase exactly what I need, (yes I take measuring cups
> to the bulk food store)

I think most of us do.

>and if there is anything left I keep it. I don't
> feel like I am cheating the sca, nor do I feel like I am stealing. Usually
> there may be, say, a bottle of corn syrup, a cup of flour etc. when I am
> done. I have never had the problem of needing to do an emergency
> subsitution, and even if I did, I highly doubt it would be found in the "box".

That seems to be acceptable around here. If the cook is keeping major stuff,
they just don't claim it on their expenses.  (for instance, they bought six
and used 5.  They keep the unopened leftover and only put 5 on the expense and
so aren't being reimbursed for the one they kept.) Opened leftovers go into
the cooks pantry rather OR are made available as are feast leftovers to anyone
still around Sunday morning.

> I would appreciate any feedback anyone may have on this subject. Please be
> as eloquent and longwinded as you want, and unless you want it kept out of
> the meeting (say so) your esteemed opinions will be presented when I broach
> this subject soon. (If I can find the time to get to a damn meeting). I
> expect to get some grief from the older cooking crowd as they have relied on
> this practise for so long that they may not be able to get beyond it. I sure
> hope not.

When you discuss this with the group, the real question should be "do we want
a pantry box" and if the group does, someone should be designated to make sure
what is in it is up to snuff. (Don't be surprised if you are voted most
capable due to your obvious interest!) Likely, most of the cooks in your area
do as you do, and carefully arrange to have all they need. Nobody is using the
box because they don't know what is in it until their plans are made, and
besides, that stuff is old. Everyone just thinks someone else cares, if they
thought about it at all and everyone would just as soon not have to waste the
space carrying it to the event and back.

Bonne