SC - 16th c. German Roux

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sun Aug 30 16:19:03 PDT 1998

A standard modern technique for making a sauce or gravy is to stir flour
into hot fat then add liquid, creating a suspension. So far as I know, this
technique is unknown in medieval cooking, where thickening is typically
done with bread crumbs, egg yolks, amidoun (wheat starch) or rice flour.
This raises the interesting question of when and where the technique
originated.

At Pennsic, I acquired a copy of the recent translation of the cookbook of
Sabrina Welserin, which is mid 16th c. German. Several recipes early in the
book (5, 9, 11, ...) seem to be describing the modern technique. Does
anyone know of an earlier example elsewhere?

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/