SC - oop - Southern Fried Chicken From a Southern Cook

Mordonna22 at aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Mon Aug 31 19:16:25 PDT 1998

I was born in and lived in the South for over 40 years.  Every ancestor for at
least four generations back was born in either Alabama or Louisiana.  I think
I may qualify as Southern.   I was challenged to post my recipe.  I'm gonna do
better than that, I'm gonna post two.

Simple Southern Fried Chicken

1 two and a half to three pound chicken, cut into pieces for frying
2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 quarts cooking oil

Wash chicken parts thoroughly, and dry between paper towels.
Place in paper bag with flour and spices.
Shake to coat, two or three pieces at a time.
Fry in oil in a heavy sauce pan at medium heat until golden brown
Remove chicken pieces and drain on brown paper.
Serve hot or cold

Fancy Southern Fried Chicken

1 two and a half to three pound frying chicken cut into pieces for frying
1 egg
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 cups plain flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground red pepper
1 tsp paprika
1/2 cup cooking oil

Wash and drain chicken pieces.  Beat egg into buttermilk.  Mix flour and
spices in a separate dish.  Dip chicken pieces in buttermilk then dredge in
flour mixture two or three times until well coated.  Heat oil in large heavy
cast iron frying pan until a bit of flour mix dropped into it sizzles.  Brown
chicken well on both sides, then reduce heat to medium and cook until dark
brown and crispy, and tender and done on the inside.  To test for doneness,
stick a knife into a thigh piece next to the bone.  If the liquid that bubble
out is clear, the chicken is done.

Mordonna