SC - Lookin for recipe: Fowey Pie

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Mon Aug 3 21:13:33 PDT 1998

hi from Anne-Marie
we are asked:

> On a totally unrelated list, this guy in the UK says he has a recipe for
> "Fowey Pie" (he was defending cooking in the British Isles, claiming it
was
> very good at one point.)  He said he'd send me the recipe, but hasn't
yet.
> Have any of you heard of this?  It's got apples in it, but also onions so
it
> sounds more like a savory pie than a dessert pie.

there's an English Elizabethan dish called "Buttered Onions" thats apples
and onions baked with butter and currants and spice. Savory and very nice.
Would be grand in a crust, I wonder if that's where this "fowey pie" came
from (never heard of it meself in all my perusals of medieval cookbooks)?

- --AM