SC - Kids and feasts

Robyn Probert robyn.probert at lawpoint.com.au
Wed Aug 5 09:10:46 PDT 1998

At 12:15 5/08/98 +1000, Sianen wrote:

>Speaking along such lines, and I'm sorry to get off topic here. does anyone
>know of interesting medieval childrens games that is fairly easy to learn
>and understand?  We are running out of games to play (aside from "Pin the
>glave on the autocrat' that is =>=>=>)

Always popular here are...
Blind man's buff - as we still play it

Hoodman's buff - required LOTS of blindfolds/hoods and one person who is
belled (with a belled belt/sash) inside a ring of keepers. The person who
the belled person swaps with them.

Beat the kettle - One person is blidfolded and guards an iron kettle (or
helm) with a boffer, sitting on his/her haunches with the kettle in front.
On the floor in front of the kettle, put a wooden spoon. The aim is to sneak
in, pick up the spoon, hit the kettle and get out before you get boffed. If
you get hit, you guard the kettle.

Tierce - form a ring of couples, with both people facing the centre of the
ring, one behind the other. You also have a runner and a chaser. If the
runner catches the chaser, their roles are reversed. To escape, the runner
can stand in front of one of the couples - the back person then becomes the
new runner. Lots of fun!

Small bean bags (about a handful of beans in each) can be thrown at or into
a target, like a helm, hoop, bowl, jug, etc.

hope these help
Rowan