SC - Kids and feasts

Linda Peterson mirhaxa at swcp.com
Wed Aug 5 08:40:11 PDT 1998

On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, Kiriel & Chris wrote:
> I am actually pretty stunned at reading the stories of other people's
> childrens feasts.  I really don't think it would even occur to anyone in
> Lochac to serve the sorts of food people are listing; hotdogs,
> hamburgers, macaroni cheese, chicken strips.

Ah, SCA cultural anthropology-my favorite! The above list is the standard
diet of the vast majority of US children today.

I don't believe that children should be fed separately, myself. The SCA is
a learning experience for everyone. Newcomers should be aquainted with the
realities of life in their local area. In our area (the Outlands), a
typical feast usually has at least a few things kids will eat. It is also
usually late. I can't understand parents who leave the care of their
children to chance. My household never went to a feast without snacks even
before the kids came, and I now always make sure that the kids can eat
when they need to, without relying on historically uncertain feast times.
We have also had bad luck with children's areas in general, any
relinquishing of parental responsibility seems to make people around here
assume that the rest of the world will babysit their kids for them.

But then I believe my obligation as an SCA cook is to feed people tasty,
period food in adequate quantities. I believe in posting ingredients and
serving a balance of meat and veggie dishes, without flavoring everything
with the same spice. After that anybodies allergies and preferences are
their own personal problem.

On the other hand, I would love to taste a lamington, something I've only
seen described in a children's book. Lochac has many food adventures we
have no access to. An SCA friend once traded care packages with someone
there, just package foods, small toys and books. They have some fabulous
flavors of jello!

Mirhaxa
  mirhaxa at swcp.com