SC - Kids and feasts

Deborah J Hammons aldyth at juno.com
Wed Aug 5 09:38:12 PDT 1998

Just my two cents here, and a neat story later.

I think that kids should be at the feast.  Same as church. If they don't
learn what is proper behavior in a large setting with adults, they seem
to "grow up" to be unmanagable kids.  I have never served separate things
to kids at feasts, as most of the parents look at the menu and if their
kids don't eat it, they bring something else.  Our kids 6-12 eat for half
price anyway.

Story time.  Each year our shire does a demo for an elementary school
with a class of exceptional kids. (we do alot more demos for schools, but
this one is special).  There are three classes, and we have them for the
whole day.  The kids dress up in garb, so do the teachers.  After our
basic morning of lecture, we break for lunch.  The kids make a "feast"
that is served either in their rooms, or in the cafeteria.  Many years
ago I gave a list of simple foods that the kids could make (or their
parents) or buy that approximate "medieval" foods.  They do the usual
breads and butters, and make chicken with noodles, fruited meatballs,
heaven and earth, fruit and cheese trays, and cheesecake for dessert.
None of the foods are too "wierd" for them, and they all have a good
time. (sometime the kids do a play in the afternoon just to amuse us, and
last year we danced for a couple of hours. These are sixth graders, and
they did MARVELOUS.)

Aldyth