SC - Kids and feasts

Morgan Parris shaddow_witch at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 5 11:45:18 PDT 1998

My five year old, well she will be six at silver hammer.  LOVES just
about any food you put in front of her.  She loves eating feast with
the adults.  The trying new foods is great fun for her.  She will try
at least a taste of everything and is usually full by the end of the
event.

I do try to bring a small toy or some crayons if she gets boared
during the lapses in feast

However, my husband is extemely picky not even trying half the food.
I wish i could sendhim to the childrens feast.

- ---maddie teller-kook <meadhbh at io.com> wrote:

> I know I posted about a children's feast but, I can only recall one
or two my
> entire time here in Ansteorra.... and I have been playing since the
late 1980s
> in this kingdom.  Most of the time the children eat with their
parents.  I even
> know some kids (a 5 yr old at that) that loves period foods... guess
it helps
> his mom is a cook.
>
> meadhbh
>

> Kiriel & Chris wrote:
>
> > I am actually pretty stunned at reading the stories of other
people's
> > childrens feasts.  I really don't think it would even occur to
anyone in
> > Lochac to serve the sorts of food people are listing; hotdogs,
> > hamburgers, macaroni cheese, chicken strips.
> >
> > I honestly think that it just would not even occur to them. And, I
> > suspect it would not occur to kids that they should not eat pretty
much
> > the same sorts of food as the grownups. I suspect too, that parents
> > would be pretty unimpressed at their kids being fed that sort of
junk.

> > I think that childrens feasts here would maybe contain simpler more
> > recognisable foods, such as roast and cold meats, cheeses, boiled
eggs,
> > meatballs, salads, bread, vegetables, fresh fruit, jam tarts, but
> > nothing really out of period.  If at a potluck someone brought
> > lamingtons or something obviously out-of-period like that, I might
give
> > it to the kids because they would be least disturbed by its
appearance
> > on their feasting table; but I think that generally kids pretty much
> > accept what they are given.
> >
> > I would be interested to hear if any other Lochac people feel
> > differently, or similarly.
> >
> > I find it especially interesting in light of other conversations
on this
> > list regarding ingredient listing for feasts and taking into account
> > allergies; frankfurts/hotdogs have heaps of red food colouring in
them
> > for example, which can be horrific for some kids systems.  And how
would
> > you list all their ingredients for the feast?
> >
> > I am sorry if I sound really horrified, condemning or snooty, but
I am
> > honestly just stunned more than anything else.
> >
> > Kiriel

SCA-Cooks".

SCA-Cooks".

==
I play in the shaddows.I hide in the light.
Mine is the world that shuns the light.
For all the evil that ever has been or ever will be;
i am it and it is me.

Morgan Parris
http://members.xoom.com/aelfie