SC - So ya wanna Twinkie

MPengwyn at aol.com MPengwyn at aol.com
Wed Aug 5 23:00:38 PDT 1998

In a message dated 8/6/1998 12:39:29 AM Eastern Daylight Time, troy at asan.com
writes:

> The magazine's version of Twinkies involved actual spongecake (so how close
>  could it be???) cut in half and/or semi-hollowed out, and filled with a
>  genuine homemade artifical buttercream made from Crisco vegetable
shortening
>  and confectioners' sugar. As a kid, on the one or two occasions when I have
>  actually eaten a Twinkie, I always wondered how the exceptionally greasy
>  stuff in the middle was achieved. Now I know, although ignorance in this
case
>  was, in fact, bliss.

How do I do this without shattering everyone's illusions totally.....
::chuckle::

All those lovely commercial birthday and wedding cakes with the impossibly
white icing we have been sampling most of our lives are iced with just such a
mess. Crisco and confectioners sugar with a little clear butter extract and
sometimes colorless almond extract are exactly what those cakes are iced with.

Kinda makes your mouth go dry, doesn't it? Funny, in my mind they always taste
like "birthdays"....

Meghan
who rarely indulges in impossibly white icing any more