SC - Fried Chicken in Apicius???

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Aug 6 05:08:36 PDT 1998

Korrin S DaArdain wrote:

> >Can anyone provide a name for the recipe [a fried chicken recipe in
> Apicius], or maybe info >indicating
> >this is somebody's loose secondary interpetation of a boiled or braised
> >chicken recipe from Apicius (there are several), or what?

> I don't know if this is what you are looking for but a search of my
> recipe collection for "Apicius" turned up the following recipes for
> chicken.

Yes, this is the recipe that seems to come closest to fried chicken, and it's
actually a stew. The chicken is browned and then braised until done in a
minimum of nine ounces of liquid (per the redaction below) not in the oven,
according to the bare translation I have by Flower and Rosenbaum (we don' need
no steenking redactions!), but over a heat source, presumably on the stove.

I was just wondering if the recipe had been substantially reworked, which
sometimes greatly changes the character of the dish until it is barely
recognizable. See, for instance, well, I _think_  it was the first edition of
"Pleyn Delit" that turned mortrews, a thick pottage of ground meat, into meat
loaf.By the way, the Liebstoeckl mentioned in the German text, and left
untranslated in English, is presumably lovage, a celery-ish plant commonly
found in Apician recipes.

Thanks for the reality check!

Adamantius

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>         Pullum Frontonianum (Chicken a la Fronto)
>         (Apic. 6, 9, 13) From an old Roman cookbook: Marcus Gavius
> Apicius: De Re Coquinaria. The book I have is edited and translated from
> Latin to German by Robert Maier. Posted and translated from German to
> English by Micaela Pantke (hz225wu at unidui.uni-duisburg.de)
>         1 fresh chicken (approx. 1-1.5kg)
>         100ml oil       200ml Liquamen (A salty fish sauce), or 200ml
> wine + 2 tsp. salt
>         1 branch of leek
>         fresh dill to taste
>         Saturei (Savory) to taste
>         coriander to taste
>         pepper to taste
>         a little bit of Defritum (A thick fig syrup, or a thick condensed
> grape juice)
>         Start to fry chicken and season with a mixture of Liquamen and
> oil, together with bunches of dill, leek, Saturei and fresh coriander.
> Then cook approximately 1 hour with 220 deg C in the oven. When the
> chicken is done, moisten a plate with Defritum, put chicken on it,
> sprinkle pepper on it, and serve.

Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com