SC - Kids andfeasts)

Brenna sunnie at exis.net
Fri Aug 7 03:24:48 PDT 1998

> >I still believe what my mother and grandmother always said, that a
> >child is a
> >fussy eater only if you let them get away with it.
>
> Not true. I always believed that, too, until I had kids. My eldest is a
> carbohydrate fiend. He will eat anything that looks like bread, but not
> much else. He ate everything as a baby, but as he got older, he developed
> likes and dislikes of his own. I refuse to make him seperate meals; he
> has to try a bite of everything I serve, then he either eats what we are
> having or he doesn't eat. You know what, he doesn't eat. He can go
> without dinner 6 out of 7 nights. He doesn't eat lunch, either. And we
> don't do a whole lot in the way of snacks around here. You either eat at
> meal time or wait until the next meal is served. Little junk food, fast
> food or convenience food, either.  My 5 year old is better, but he still
> would rather go hungry than eat things he doesn't like. The pediatrician
> says they're healthy, so we don't hassle them. My sister, who has older
> kids, says hers were like that, too, until they reached about 11 or 12
> (Yea! My eldest is 10!) and now they will eat *anything*.  Adults have
> different personalities, likes and dislikes. Why not kids?
>
> >Noemi
>
> Julleran

Here, here!  That is my daughter in spades!  She usually eats lunch because it's
easily identified foods for her (cheese sandwich on wheat, homemade chicken
strips (her favorite), oven braised potatoes).  She eats dinner if it's baked
chicken, ham steaks, steak, but put a casserole or soup in front of her (both of
which I make alot of for our daycare (homemade, and my parents ask to eat with
the kids most of the time))  and she will decide not to eat.  She doesn't bug me
for food when we get home.  She doesn't ask for treats (usually graham crackers
or apples and cheese slices for her) later.  She skips dinner roughly 4 times a
week.  She is small, but she is healthy, so why fuss.

Brenna