SC - snowballs and quandong jelly

Ian van Tets ivantets at botzoo.uct.ac.za
Sun Aug 9 12:41:41 PDT 1998

In answer to questions, the snowballs I know don't have cake in them,
just marshmallow.  They are often rolled in chocolate before the
coconut, but not always.  I don't know what the alternative is, but
it's not chocolate, 'cause I can eat it.  Quandong jelly is ordinary
packet jelly made from a native Australian fruit which most of us
have never tasted and probably never will;  apparently they're rock
hard even when they're ripe.  The jelly is coloured purple.  And no,
I haven't tried it.

Shall we turn the conversation to something slightly more on topic now?
What about unusual cooking methods?  The Anglo-Norman Culinary
collection refers to cooking in a pot surrounded by slaking lime;  we
watched a rather fun video a couple of weeks ago which talked at one
stage of cooking stews in a wooden bucket, the heat provided by means
of a rock heated in the fire.  Any others?

Cairistiona