SC - An unusual cooking method

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Tue Aug 11 13:59:45 PDT 1998

>Renata says...
>Err, is it just me, or is there no mention of a heat source in this
>discription?
>
>Is the hay supposed to spontaneously combust? ;) In that case, wouldn't nice,
>dusty grain be better? ;)
>
>(This *is* supoosed to be humor but, hey --or *hay* -- it's early and maybe
>it's only funny to me. No offense intended. Really)

Hay acts as a conductor of heat rather well. By putting the cauldron in
already simmering, the hay acts to cook the stew thoroughly (if buried
properly) and the taste is absolutely wonderful. But I am going to check
Stephans site to see if it can be documented as a bonifide cooking method of
the middle ages.

Micaylah