SC - cucumbers in period

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Tue Aug 11 18:13:45 PDT 1998

Hi all from Anne-Marie

We are asked about recipes for cucumber in period.

Might I suggest the cucumbers from Apicius? Easy, tasty and soooo simple to
make!

"Cucumbers (Apicius #84): Pepper, pennyroyal, honey or passum, liquamen and
vinegar. Sometimes silphium is added."

AM's version:
2 cucumbers, sliced but not peeled. Make sure to wash that wax off, though.
1/4 tsp fresh black pepper
1/2 T fresh mint (if you dont want to use pennyroyal)
2 T honey
1 c. balsamic vinegar
1 T worsheschestershurstershire sauce ("liquamen" sorta kinda)
2 pinches asafetida ( optional...considered by some a suitable substitute
for the now extinct silphium)

In a dish, layer the sliced cucumbers with pepper and mint. Mix the
marinade from the remaining ingredients. If you warm it slightly, it helps
the honey mix. Let cool a bit so as not to cook the cukes. Pour over the
cucumbers and let sit for a bit. Serve cold or at room temp.
I know of no examples of medieval European food that uses sour cream at
all, much less with cukes. Even the middle eastern stuff uses yogurt.

hope this helps,
- --Anne-Marie