SC: OT Heifer project...wasRe: Subject: SC - Re: SC European foods - Real Pizza

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Thu Aug 6 22:16:56 PDT 1998

Hi from Anne-Marie, your friendly local 4H girl :)
we are told:
> Years ago I was visiting with some family in central California.  They
were farmers, and had been all their lives.  They were involved with
something called the "heifer project," which (perhaps someone else can
explain this better than I can?) has something to do with sending young,
breedable farm animals (i.e., heifers and hens) to foreign countries to
help alleviate food-shortage problems.

yep, this was a great program, where we attempted to increase the
productivity of livestock in the 3rc world by sending them good quality
cows, sheep, goats, etc. Problem was, people kept eating them and not using
them for breeding. *sigh*....

- --AM