SC: OT Heifer project...wasRe: Subject: SC - Re: SC European foods - Real Pizza

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Thu Aug 13 14:55:18 PDT 1998

>Hi from Anne-Marie, your friendly local 4H girl :)
>we are told:
>> Years ago I was visiting with some family in central California.  They
>were farmers, and had been all their lives.  They were involved with
>something called the "heifer project," which (perhaps someone else can
>explain this better than I can?) has something to do with sending young,
>breedable farm animals (i.e., heifers and hens) to foreign countries to
>help alleviate food-shortage problems.
>>

>yep, this was a great program, where we attempted to increase the
>productivity of livestock in the 3rc world by sending them good quality
>cows, sheep, goats, etc. Problem was, people kept eating them and not using
>them for breeding. *sigh*....

My take is this...
We have been trying to alleviate this third world hunger crisis for so long
now by trying to train people to "feed themselves". This has patently failed
(look at the statistics or turn on your television to see how many
"programs" are in effect trying to do the same thing). The world as a whole
could adequately feed all the hungry people on this planet without really
feeling the pinch. But since this is not feasible on a global scale, perhaps
we should just try to clean up or own backyards first and then feed the
rest. Maybe by feeding then first and letting them grow strong again as a
nation, then our time might be better spent teaching when they aren't
looking for anything acailable to eat. Hunger can't wait.

M.