SC - HELP!!!!!

iceweasel.org at netaxs.com iceweasel.org at netaxs.com
Sat Aug 22 11:55:38 PDT 1998

Hi Sianan

Several rocommendations from someone who has SCAexperience cooking
and/or organizing 3 SCA feasts for over 300 and has mundane catering
sxperience with feeding 1000 for sit-down dinners.

Firstly, you'll need a commercial kitchen.  Example:   doing all
those tarts ahead of time and freezing is all well and good but you
run risk of soggy crust when thawed or the possibility of egg based
stuff seperating.  Think of this:  1 - 9"tart serves 8.  For 300 you
need 38-40 tarts.  Think of baking all this at home and then
attempting to find adequate freezer space for all those tarts.  We
have held 2 East Kingdom , kingdom level events in a lovely Shriner's
hall that has one of the best commercial kitchens we've ever worked
in.  13 ovens and 22 burners and large tracts of stainless counter
top (no dishwasher though).  You can fit 6-8 tarts in a Vulcan-type
commercial oven, 8 in a pizza oven (the long skinny kind) and about
4-6 in a commercial convection oven.  IF you can find a site of that
size then, with proper organization and enough people helping you can
cook this type of event without much precooking.  The most that we
have prepped for these events is veggies, and we've taken the time to
group ingredients and supplies by recipe when we can.

Secondly, if you don't have one buy a cookbook program.  I have
"kitchen Gourmet" by Soft Key, which is now 2 yrs old.  It takes a
recipe, converts # of servings, converts ingredient amounts, makes a
shopping list and provides nutritional information if for nothing
more than the sake of good giggle, especially for things like Savory
Toasted Cheese.  Look carefully if purchasing one as not all do all
of these things at once.

I frown highly on the "cook it and store it in coolers" or "par cook
it and finish it later at the site" methods, especially for meat.
Funny things grow in meat when stored between 90-110 degrees F.
Funny things that can make people violently ill, especially children
or those with compromised health.  I know that I'll probably start a
poop storm with this comment, but why risk it.  Cook it away from
site, fully refridgerate it then reheat, or just cook it at the site.

I did a class on the topic of SCA feast prep from a mundane
standpoint at Pennsic.  I have a ton more info for you if you'd like
and can even give you recipes that worked exceptionally well in large
quantities.  Please contact me privately if you'd like to talk more.

Good luck,
Aemilia

PS--- a guest list of 375 usually means 200-300 showing.  Find out
the realistic head count. For example, it's possible that the 50
relatives from outer Mongolia on the list who are recieving
invitations as a courtesy  will most likely not make it.