SC - Jam

LHG, JRG liontamr at ptd.net
Fri Aug 28 06:34:12 PDT 1998

First I would like to thank everyone who responded to my question about
green beans.  I am here to learn more about the history and preperation of
foods as well as to gather ideas on the creative aspects of the Society.
I'm afraid, however, that the more I learn, the more I want to know.  If
anyone would be so kind as to help me again...are jams/jellies or anything
like this period?  I would love to hear any information anyone could share
with me in this area.  Thanks again.
In service,
Lady Gwyneth Blackrose
Greywood

Gwyneth---try the Good Huswife's Jewel for recipes for marmalet, etc.  Yes,
it's period. In Slavic countries I understand it was a custom to offer a
spoon of  jam either alone or in a glass of cold water as the ultimate in
instant hospitality (much like the irish would offer buttermilk, and not to
offer would be insulting). Jam also found it's way into wine for the
Italians, IIRC, when the result desired was dessert-like wine on the cheap
OR the drinker preferred sweet wine and none was available.

HTH

Aoife