SC - Jam

David Friedman ddfr at best.com
Sat Aug 22 09:55:29 PDT 1998

>Gwyneth---try the Good Huswife's Jewel for recipes for marmalet, etc.  Yes,
>it's period.

1. Is that source period or early 17th century?

2. I believe that in at least part of period, "marmalade" meant quince
paste, being derived from a Portuguese word for "quince." The ones I have
tasted are not much like what we call mamalade. I don't know when the word
acquired its modern meaning.

>In Slavic countries I understand it was a custom to offer a
>spoon of  jam either alone or in a glass of cold water as the ultimate in
>instant hospitality (much like the irish would offer buttermilk, and not to
>offer would be insulting). Jam also found it's way into wine for the
>Italians, IIRC, when the result desired was dessert-like wine on the cheap
>OR the drinker preferred sweet wine and none was available.

When were these things true? Are you describing traditional practices that
might be period or practices that are period?

As I understand it, sugar shifted from a luxury good to an inexpensive
sweetener around the end of our period, so some patterns of behavior that
involved things made from sugar may have originated after our period.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/