SC - OP-root beer

PhlipinA at aol.com PhlipinA at aol.com
Mon Aug 24 05:13:32 PDT 1998

In a message dated 8/23/98 11:51:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time, stefan at texas.net
writes:

<< I imagine I have the root. Do you mean I boil it three times, throwing out
 the resulting tea the first two times? Or boil it, let it cool. Boil it
 again, let it cool. etc? Do you not need to add sugar to it sometime?

 Stefan li Rous
 stefan at texas.net >>

No, Stefan. Sassafras is a root that can be boiled several times, drinking the
resulting tea each time. The first couple of boilings have the flavor but no
color- the later boilings become a darker and darker pinkish color- after the
5th boiling, the flavor is milder and the color is darker- I usually don't
keep a root past the 6th boiling- also depending on the size of the root. It
has a nice flavor, but don't ask me about proportions of sugar- I don't use
sugar in hot drinks, unless I'm into Cuban coffee. For similar reasons, never
ask me about salt, which I also rarely use, or garlic, which I eat like a
vegetable.

Hope this helps,

Phlip