SC - Verjuice

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Aug 24 11:19:35 PDT 1998

In a message dated 8/24/98 10:22:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Deanna.Knott at GSC.GTE.Com writes:

<< Just how unripe
 do they have to be?  >>

Although I make my verjuice with crab apples (nicer flavor, IMO), you will
want to pick the grapes when they have enlarged but are not showing signs of
ripening. If there is any hint of sweetness the grapes are far to gone for the
making of verjuice. "Green' is lack of ripeness not the color of a ripe grape.

BTW, if the grapes that you have access to are the Lambrusco (read Welch's and
supermarket grape juice) you will have 'foxy' flavors develope in your
verjuice which are the flavors most often thought of as 'grape" by the vast
majority of Americans. Verjuice can be made from unripe grapes of this variety
but it will have little or no resemblance to the flavor of verjuice made with
Old World grapes other than the sourness.

Ras