SC - Feast profits?

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Aug 24 15:50:01 PDT 1998

In a message dated 8/24/98 3:22:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jstaplet at du.edu
writes:

<< I hope that you've not fallen victim to the incorrect definition of
 non-profit group as meaning "we can't make a profit"...:-(

 Berengaria

Absolutely not! :-) We always charge 5 dollars a head for feast, 1.25 for
lunch and .50 for breakfast. If the Kitchen Steward and the head cooks for
breakfast and lunch, spend all of the alloted money it is not a bad thing. If
they come in under budget , great! If they are over,a gentle suggestion that
perhaps the venison could be gotten from a local hunter usually balances hte
budget at the next feast.

Many shires use their events as money makers. Our shire just does not use site
fees or feasts fees as a soiurce of profit making. We make and sell portable
period game boards, chain mail juggling balls, t-shirts of the event, have an
auction of donated stuff, and at least one raffle of a completely outfitted
feast basket or portable table. We also sell the juggling balls and fool's
caps, as well as, set up a food booth of period things at our public demo in
the Old Jail once a year.

Although there are shires that are completely dependant on events for funding,
shire's can have other means of earning their operating funds without padding
site/food fees. I think the latter is a good thing given the continuous rise
in mundane site charges.

Ras