SC - The Feast Frenzy

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Aug 25 04:12:26 PDT 1998

LYN M PARKINSON wrote:

> Micaylah
>
> >>b) I then take the ingredients and cut and paste them into a separate
> document and then sort it alpha. It comes out with all the same
> ingredients
> bunched together.<<
>
> OK, so I do it by hand and would prefer to use technology.  What do you
> mean by 'sort it alpha' and how do you do that?  And you cut and paste it
> where?
>
> Allison

If I am understanding this correctly, what you do is make a seperate word
processor document for each recipe (you could probably use a spreadsheet but I
find linear thinking easier for this). Each one will presumably begin with an
ingredients list. For each line in your ingredients list, name the food item
first, consistently between recipes. Don't call it sweet butter in one and
butter, sweet in another. Follow with the quantity, and finally with any
additional qualifiers, like melted, etc. So, you end up with "Butter, unsalted
- -- 2 #, melted" in one recipe, and "Butter, unsalted -- 1/2 #" in another, and
"Butter, salted -- 10 #" in a third.

Cut and paste (or more properly, copy and paste, since you don't want to delete
the ingredients lists from your recipes) just the ingredients list from your
first recipe into a new document called "Shopping List" or some such. Close the
first recipe document, leaving your shopping list open. Open your second recipe
document and copy it onto the bottom of the first bunch of ingredients.
Continue to do this until you have a single long column of disorganized
ingredients. A decent word processor like Word Perfect for the Mac, or, for
that matter, even any substandard Microsoft product, will have a function for
sorting lines or entries alphabetically. If you've formatted your ingredients
list properly, with all butter references starting with the word "butter",
you'll start your "B" entries with all the bat wings you'll be using, followed
by all the bull elephants you'll need to buy, and eventually all the butter.
You can then add up the quantities to simplify bulk puchasing and shorten your
list to something like "Butter, salted -- 10 #, Butter, unsalted -- 14 #".

You should also be able to do this with an Excel or other spreadsheet document,
but I personally find it easier to use a word processor.

Hope this helps!

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com