SC - The Box-longish

Brenna sunnie at exis.net
Wed Aug 26 03:37:52 PDT 1998

> First off, I would like to say that, IMO, the 'scary' feeling you get about
> using dried goods is somewhat smacking of the irrational.  This will not be a
> post favoring your position.
>
> Your main concern appears to be hinged around the premise that dried goods
> have a shelf life that indicates when they are not 'safe' to eat.  Since you
> did not mention packaging in your post I can only assume that the products you
> mentioned, e.g., sugar, spices, were stored in airtight or well-sealed
> containers?  If this is true then you have virtually no reason for the fearful
> reaction you are portraying.

Ras, my dear sir, I understand this post, but I have given up on this topic.
Believe me, I agree with you, but I have found that trying to educate people on
these facts is futile.  I wonder sometimes if many people eat leftovers (EVER in
their lives).  I have a dear friend (who I am cooking a wedding feast for of all
things) who truely belives the popular propaganda about food.  He would never
dream of drinking milk on it's date code (even if it's frozen for time between).
He throws away anything at it's date code, no matter whether it is actually sour
or not (never mind that the date code is only a date when 5% of the product has
spoiled for whatever reason and many products are good a week or more past it).
He takes a better if eaten by date as gospel and throws stuff away then.  The
bottom line is, if you are that picky about your food, nothing will ever meet your
standards and no anount of facts will ever change your mind.  No matter that I can
show people thermometer readings to prove a freezer is safely at -30, it will
somehow grow beasties and kill them.  It's a religion of sorts...you can't attack
people's beliefs I guess.

Brenna