SC - The Feast Frenzy

Brenna sunnie at exis.net
Wed Aug 26 03:45:36 PDT 1998

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> LYN M PARKINSON wrote:
>
> > Micaylah

> > document and then sort it alpha. It comes out with all the same
> > ingredients
> > bunched together.<<
> >
> > OK, so I do it by hand and would prefer to use technology.  What do you
> > mean by 'sort it alpha' and how do you do that?  And you cut and paste it
> > where?
> >
> > Allison
>
> If I am understanding this correctly, what you do is make a seperate word
> processor document for each recipe (you could probably use a spreadsheet but I
> find linear thinking easier for this). Each one will presumably begin with an
> ingredients list. For each line in your ingredients list, name the food item
> first, consistently between recipes. Don't call it sweet butter in one and
> butter, sweet in another. Follow with the quantity, and finally with any
> additional qualifiers, like melted, etc. So, you end up with "Butter, unsalted
> -- 2 #, melted" in one recipe, and "Butter, unsalted -- 1/2 #" in another, and
> "Butter, salted -- 10 #" in a third.

Okay, computer programming and computer use experience here excluded, this is more
complex than what I do, and for the more computer illiterate here, an easier way is
to map out your recipies first with all the necessary ingredients (on paper).

Then, write out the ingredients (I do it by department in the store) and add next
to it (Butter 2#,  5#,  10#) as you go down recipie by recipie.  Get a total for
each item at the end.

Then use graph paper to allow yourself blocks standing for 1# of butter or 10# of
rice.  Write the item, leave the necessary blocks and fill in the blocks as you buy
it piecemeal (or check it off if you buy it all at once).

When you pack for the site, make sure you have everything using your graph paper
list, and use the individual recipie list you made at the begining to split the
rations into piles for each recipie on site.

I personally feel this is faster than the computer checklist (at least for the
second list).

Brenna