SC - butter - salted/unsalted

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Aug 26 10:55:30 PDT 1998

Diana Skaggs wrote:

>      <snip> Did they salt butter in period?  <snip? Caitlen Ruadh
>

>      I don't know if butter was salted in period.  I do remember my grandmother,
>      who seemed older than dirt, telling me that salting the butter was just a
>      way to extend its usable life.  Sweet butter turns rancid more quickly than
>      salted butter, or as my husband says, "The salt in the butter covers the
>      rancid flavor."  I say don't salt the butter.  Leanna of Sparrowhaven

My apologies; I seem to have missed this the first time around. Yes, they did salt
butter in period, both as a way to preserve it for later use, and also because it
allowed for different medical properties from unsalted butter.

I believe there are instructions in Le Menagier de Paris, as well as other sources
that I'd have to search through, for removing the salt from butter.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com