SC - cooking in primative conditions

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Aug 26 23:37:44 PDT 1998

I am trying to come up with a period feast that can be prepared in
advance and reheated on a coleman stove or fire or one that can cooked
entirely over the flames and doesn't require much in the way of
utinsels to cook or eat.

I had thought that roasting a whole pig would be nice, but I am
finding it hard to get information on how to do so. (I also have no
idea how to carve a pig!!).

I am new to the entire feastocrat/mass cooking thing and I am sure
that I am in over my head. Can some one PLEASE help??

Lord Gavvin Quinn
- -------------

There have been a number of discussions on this list about cooking
over fires. I just recently put these together in this file in the
FOOD section of my Florilegium files:

cook-ovr-fire-msg (33K)  8/21/98    Cooking over open fires. Outdoor feasts.

While most of my files are available at this site:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

This file has not been sent to the website yet but probably will be
available in the next week. In the meantime, I can send you this file by
email if you wish.

I also have several messages on roasting a pig, but I have not made
a file from them. If you wish, I can send you these. My impression
though is that a pig would be an overly ambitious feast for a beginning
headcook.

For some ideas on how to handle being the headcook, you might want to
look at this file in the FEASTS section:

headcooks-msg     (40K) 11/ 7/97    Advice for SCA headcooks. Planning feasts.

As to butchering, take a look at these files in the ANIMALS section:

butchering-msg    (26K)  7/30/98    Overview of butchering livestock and game.
butch-goat-art    (16K)  7/14/98    "Butchering a Live Goat, for (and by)
                                       Beginners" by Charles McCathieNevile.

I think a number of the other files in the FEASTS or the FOOD sections would
be of use to you. For instance, there are examples of other SCA feast menus
in the FEAST section and many recipes in the FOOD section.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net