SC - Scully

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Aug 27 20:26:09 PDT 1998

Ras said:

In a message dated 8/26/98 3:50:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time, meadhbh at io.com
writes:

><< Early French Cooking by Terence Scully >>

<snip>

>The background information is generally quite sound, however. They also
>present a good case for the 'Humor' theory of medicine as it pertains to
>cookery although they fall far short of convincing me that the majority of
>medieval cooks really cared about such things.

There is another article on medieval humoral theory by Scully that those
interested in humoral thought and how they affected medieval cooking
should read. I think he makes a good case and it does explain some of
the oddities of medieval cooking but I am still unconvinced that it is the
only explanation. This article is: "Mixing it up in the Medieval Kitchen"
by Terence Scully, Wilfred Laurier University.

I found it in a book I bought at Pennsic:

"Medieval Food and Drink", ACTA, Vol. XXI. The Center for Medieval and
Early Renaissance Studies. Binghamton University, State University of
New York. 1995 ISSN 0361-7491.

It wasn't a cheap book, $20 for 145 pages, but I'm wondering if the other
volumes are as interesting and will probably inquire further about them.

The ACTA ad in the back mentions proceedings of some SUNY Regional Comferances
and I may check on these, too. Particularly number II on the Twelfth Century.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net

(11th century Anglo-Norman interested in the mentions of Norman recipes here.)