SC - artichokes?

The Cheshire Cat sianan at geocities.com
Mon Aug 31 16:20:45 PDT 1998

>Allison commented:
>>If anybody gets the Lifetime Supply of artichoke hearts, immediately move
>>them into small zip lock bags and freeze.
>
>Are there medieval recipes using artichokes? Artichoke hearts? Are there any
>European recipes with these?

I have seen a referance to artichokes on the food table in the form of a
still life by Osias Beert (c. 1580 - 1624).  This shows a young artichoke
ready to be eaten. Rather scant documentation I know, but it's all I have.
   I also have one recipe for artichokes, however I have as yet failed
locate the original from my file.  Here it is aready redacted though.

Artichokes in cream sauce.

6 globe artichokes
300ml cream
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 blade mace
1 tsp sugar
salt, pepper, lemon juice to taste
Fresh mint and 2 cloves garlic if liked
A knob of butter

  Discard the coarse outer leaves of the artichoke, peel the stems and cook
the whole heads in salted water with a little mint and garlic, until
tender. Drain and cool.  Remove the leaves, scraping away the flesh at the
bottom of each one.  Cut off the stems and chop, keeping the bits to one
side.
  Remove the hairy chokes and keep the bottoms.  Heat the cream with the
spices and sugar until almost boiling, then beat in the butter and add a
little lemon juice to taste.  Warn the artichoke bottoms through in the
sauce, taking care not to boil.  Season the flesh from the leaves and warm
through.  Pile this in the middle of your serving dish and pour the bottoms
in their sauce around it.  Serve garnished with sprigs of mint.

  I'll post the original when I find it.  It's still far too early in the
morning for me to be thinking straight yet.

Hope this helps,
- -Sianan