SC - Ras' Sense of Humor

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Tue Dec 1 09:09:50 PST 1998

My household had its fifth (or so) annual Thanksgiving Potluck for the
Strays; that is, everyone in our SCA surrogate family who didn't have other,
more pressing claims on the day.  We hosted fifteen people, including three
children.  Because it was a potluck, the menu was divided into items I
prepared, items I shopped for and others prepared while I was arranging the
furniture, and items that showed up already finished from others' kitchens:

Group one:
Turkey, with the saffron/egg/milk baste from TATEOM
Both stuffing and dressing
Baked ham
Green beans cooked for hours (I started them on Wednesday afternoon) with
onion, fresh pork, and country ham
Mashed potato casserole (with cream cheese & sour cream, topped with
buttered breadcrumbs)
Carrots cooked in hard cider with spices and honey
Rolls

Group two:
Gravy (this turned into a real group effort for some reason)
Broccoli with savory cheese goo
Egg custard pie

Group three:
Baklava, one tray with pistachios and one tray with apricots
Blueberry and apple pies
Green jello salad
Tossed salad
Cranberry sauce, both kinds, both straight out of a can (some of my guests
insist that only the jellied stuff, with the canning marks still in it, will
suit).
Pumpkin pie
Ice cream

We had way too many green beans, so I took them to my mother's house and we
cooked them for several more hours on Saturday and everyone pronounced them
absolutely perfect.<G>  I made the day-after turkey soup with rice last
night.