SC - Quince conserve

Melissa Martines mmartines at brighthorizons.com
Tue Dec 1 12:58:00 PST 1998

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998 LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 11/30/98 4:01:11 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> taltos at primenet.com writes:
>
> << broccoli with mushrooms >>
>
> OK. You have my attention. :-) I am having am difficult time imagining this
> combo. Recipe, por favor?
>
> Ras

Happy to oblige, but remember - you asked! The first step is to take a
look at the stove 1/2 hour before serving and realize you've gone
monochromatic and everything is shades of sepia. Next step is to open the
fridge and see what's hanging around in a different color. Since you can't
entirely abandon the monochrome thing you've started, see what's left in
the same color scheme. Now assemble as follows:

- - Broccoli, probably about a bunch (3 "stalks" rubber banded together from
the supermarket), shopped into mouth-sizepieces
- - mushrooms, about 1/2 pound, sliced
- - basic white cream sauce, heavy on the cream and toss in a bit of mint
and a bare hint of saffron

While the broccoli is boiling in water (with salt, more mint), fry up the
mushrooms in a bit of butter. Use the leftover butter gook in the bottom
of the pan to make the cream sauce. Strain the broccoli and throw it all
into a baking dish. Mix well (gotta get the broccoli coated with the cream
sauce so it matches the rest of the food colors). Scooch the yams over on
the middle shelf of the oven and set the broccoli next to it. Serve
everything, then remember the yams and broccoli and run back to the
kitchen. (I think they were in there about 1/2 hour at 350 degrees - go
for hot through.)

ohmygoodness, that was an adventure! I promise I don't always cook like
that. And sometimes there's even a method to my madness (just not that
crazy day.) The broccoli was, obviously, last-minute. The surprise was
that it was the first to disappear - the flavor was wonderful and the
mint was a nice (but odd) touch.

~Maedb