SC - Lord Ras- Dicks for Christmas

Kathleen M Hogan kathleen.hogan at juno.com
Wed Dec 2 15:34:04 PST 1998

Helen wrote:

> > I've never seen a period shortbread recipe. The oldest documentable
> > shortbread recipe I've seen is probably late 17th century, unless I'm mistaken.
>
> The best shortbread cookie I ever made, said you had to make it with
> cold butter by very slight hand kneading.  The hand warmth melted the
> butter the right amount and they were very tender cookies.

Sugar also acts as a tenderizer, and the note about hand warmth having a
detrimental effect is true. I was taught that using the finger_tips_
rather than the entire hand was a good way to do it; the warmth of your
fingertips is outweighed by the advantage of being able to find and
exterminate lumps quickly. The other important thing that makes
shortbread shortbread, instead of merely a sweet pastry, is that it
generally contains no liquid ingredients.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com