SC - Bara Brith recipe

snowfire@sprynet.com snowfire at sprynet.com
Wed Dec 2 21:02:34 PST 1998

>In general, a good knife will be reasonably heavy and thick (maybe
>3/16"-1/4" where the back of the blade meets the grip), well-balanced,
should have a rivetted wooden handle (at least 3 rivets preferred) with a
tang that runs the entire length of the handle. No plastic handles, no
amazing Tri-zor, never needs sharpening, edges, and you should never,
ever have to worry about the knife flexing under pressure and cutting
where you don't want, like, say, your left index finger...;  )
>I hope this helps you make up your mind!
>Adamantius
I agree with all of your knife requirements.  Once my kitchen is done, I
may have to invest in a fine SET of knives.  I have several good ones,
but I have worn or damaged many of them, and could use a nice new set.
One thing I would throw out for your consideration - one of the best
knives you can have in your kitchen is The Amazing Ginsu or some sort of
rip-off of same.  They are truely amazing knives, and will cut through
anything.  The very first time I saw one, I had cooked a Cockentrice for
a food show (that's a whole other story), and couldn't figure out how to
make a loaf-shaped cut into the body of the pig/turkey (couldn't get a
suckling pig).  One of the fellows from the French restaurant upstairs
(in the hotel I was working in) said "how about the Ginsu?"  I said
something to the effect that I wouldn't be caught dead, and he told me to
try it out.  Well, I did, it worked like a charm, and I have been sold on
them ever since.  I bought two (you know, the second one was free)
knock-off brands at a food show once, and have broken the tip of of the
forked end of one of them, but they still do anything I ask of them.
	Ah, knives I have known and loved.  I once had a Taiwanese couple
as housemates, and she cooked quite a bit.  Every single cutting,
slicing, peeling, etc. job she did, she accomplished beautifully with a
10" cleaver.  I never saw her pick up another knife or cutting tool.
	Good topic, guys!
	Christianna