SC - Lord Ras- Dicks for Christmas

Marilyn Traber margali at 99main.com
Thu Dec 3 19:23:33 PST 1998

>>blanking out on the name of the painter whose name people sometimes use
as a polite euphemism for f--I mean, plump) what'zizzname, during which
period ladies did not have laps.<<

Rubens!  How *could* you forget the name of the inventor of the sandwich
which made all those laps go away?  ;-)

The small dogs at the feet of tomb monuments are there to signify
'loyalty', so there must have been enough of them around to create the
'good old dog' idea.  In my costume books, and brasses, the dogs might be
small beagles, there's a very fuzzy terrier-type at the feet of Giovanni
Arnolfini and his bride; a tallish spaniel stands in a Flemish street
scene; mastiffs are in the hunting books, in the specified kennel care
book; lots of small, indeterminate types (or bad artists).  Of the
greyhound type, I've seen a variety of sizes--deer hound, greyhound, and
whippet.

In the 17th C. we see a lot of spaniels in the royal English portraits,
but I don't know if the artists got better or the dogs were a new breed.

Regards,

Allison
allilyn at juno.com, Barony Marche of the Debatable Lands, Pittsburgh, PA
Kingdom of Aethelmearc