SC - Tavern Style Kitchen

Gerekr@aol.com Gerekr at aol.com
Sat Dec 5 12:03:06 PST 1998

I just finished watching a show on the Discovery Channel called "Our
Favorite Fun Foods".  It was an hour long special on famous American
comfort foods, including SPAM, Twinkies, Kellogg's Corn Flakes, Swanson
TV Dinners, Dr. Pepper, Jell-O, PEZ, Cracker Jack, Hot Dogs, and
Marshmallows.  The history of the marshmallow was interesting.  They said
that Ancient Egyptians extracted a sweet syrupy substance from the roots
of Mallow plants, and molded them into shapes.  They were given to
Royalty to eat as delicacies.  The molded gelatinous sweet was used by
Alchemists, Chemists, and Druggists to cure all sorts of ailments.  A
Parisian Confectioner produced marshmallows in the early 18th century.
Mallow roots became very hard to come by and very expensive, so
scientists developed a substitute syrup made with sugar and gelatin.
Scientists in the 1920's developed a jet-puffed process, producing the
product we know today.  They showed a tray of the sweets made from the
mallow roots, and they looked kindof like globs of almond paste.  Hmmm, I
wonder if that was known in the MA? Perhaps in the Mediterranean?
Cool show, done by the same folks who did "Our Favorite Toys".
Christianna