SC - Fava beans??

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Dec 6 07:12:59 PST 1998

Philippa Alderton wrote:

> While I have never tried a British banger, and
> therefore have no opinions on them, I found your description to be
> sufficient to know what they would be like. Are they as homogeneous as our
> hot dogs and bologna?

In the face of obvious attempts to get me Into Trouble ;  ), I shall
attempt to be tactful and informative, simultaneously. The bangers _I've
seen_ are very finely ground, and also contain some crackery crumbs
known as rusk, giving them an extremely smooth texture which I,
personally, find more appropriate in a white pudding than in a
theoretically all-meat sausage.

> I must confess, that I'm not a big fan of sausage of
> any flavor - too fatty, usually - although, since the local stores have been
> grinding and stuffing their own, I have developed a liking for their hot
> Italian ( I use it in spaghetti), and the local Big Bear makes a
> particularly wonderful bulk breakfast sausage. I have also, lately, taken a
> liking to a couple brands of summer sausage, and recently had some homemade
> smoked venison sausage which was wonderful- I WILL have that recipe ! Not to
> mention specs on the smoker ;-)

Smokers are fun, I agree. Bangers, BTW, generally seem to be quite lean,
unless the fine grind makes the fat portions indistinguishable from the
muscle meat.

The problems I've had with the bangers I've tried (and they've been of a
variety of brands, and over a period of years, so I can't really call my
sampling extremely limited experience, although I've never tried
Bowyer's) have been the texture, which never really seems like what a
sausage should be, a bit too much salt, and, my Number One Reason,
collagen casings, which frequently burst into jelly-like shards in
cooking, said shards affecting the rest of the sausage not at all.

Now, while my experiences with the genre have been almost invariably
bad, I'm not saying there's no such thing as a good banger. I actually
have a couple of good banger recipes, which I may post later today if
I'm allowed to get at this machine for five minutes without
interruption.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --