SC - An introduction and hopefully a quick query

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sun Dec 6 21:01:27 PST 1998

> My query is related to the "Take a Thousand Eggs or More" books, and maybe
> "A Sip Through Time". I was browsing the recipes of the cookbooks and was
> trying to convert the measurements to metric when I found that there are
> two different sets (at least) of pound weights and matching volume
> measures
> in use today. Which one should I use? The one where 2.2 pounds = 1kg or
> the
> other one?
>
> YIS
>
> Maidiu Ruadh

For both Imperial and US measures 1 kg = 2.2 lbs.  For fluid measure 1pt. US
= 16 oz, 1 Imperial pt. = 20 oz, so 1 liter is about 3 1/2 oz more than a US
quart and about 4 1/2 oz less than an Imperial quart.  The difference in
fluid measures occurs because the Imperial measure is based on the weight of
1 gallon of water at 62 degrees F while the US measure is based on the wine
gallon.

Dry measures can be even more confusing because a period bushel weighed
between 56 and 72 pounds.  For English recipes, the common bushel measures
were the Winchester bushel at 60 pounds and the London bushel at 56 pounds.

Bear