SC - An introduction and hopefully a quick query

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Dec 7 07:40:15 PST 1998

<snip>

>As Kitchen Steward this year, I am serving a 2 layer pastry castle The first
>layer will enclose a venison roast and the second layer (the keep) a bear
>roast. Surrounding the castle will be 6 roast geese with venison sausages
>piled between the geese. The bear, venison and sausages were donated. The
>geese will be purchaced. If I can figure out how to keep the 4 corner towers
>complete while allowing access to the roasts they will be used to contain the
>4 sauces that will go with the meats.
>
>Meats in the past have included lamb, wild geese, ducklings, roast beef and
>assorted donated game.
>
>Ras

Wow!!  Take a picture of this for us, please!

I tried making towers out of gingerbread dough this past week.  (I'm making
a gingerbread castle for the kids for Xmas.)  The dough slumped, despite
being wrapped around a cardboard & foil mold. Slumping has been a recurring
problem, with or without pans, frames, wires, etc., whether I've used
pastry, bread dough, or gingerbread.  The dough that worked best was hot
water crust pastry, which held its shape unsupported externally (but it was
filled). Aoife said something about experimenting with coffin doughs, & she
came up with a very sturdy one.

Cindy/Sincgiefu