SC - Different 12th Nights

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Mon Dec 7 14:21:30 PST 1998

I too am interested.  I went to find this article on the web, but rolling stone
doesn't do all articles on the web and I don't get a subscription, so I am going
to try to get down to the library and copy the article.  If the subject matter
grosses you out, think about how much more grossed out you may be if you didn't
know about it.  (Kat, I know you may be grossed out by the practices/info in the
article, but this is something we would like to know about.)  Did the author of
the article site sources, or did he go to slaughterhouses? interview FDA agents?
general shock info?  How about something to go check out besides this article?
One thing I can think of, most cooks on this list (maybe excluding newbies) have
read the "butcher your own" posts-if the slaughterhouses are doing things that are
not sanitary, a self butcher may know what you DO need to do (I certainly hope) to
avoid things like E.coli, or other nasties.  I remember a discussion this summer
on the nasties we can't see-purifying cutting boards. If the author is doing the
general PETA info thing, would be nice to know.

Lady Elisabeth