SC - Different 12th Nights

James Gilly / Alasdair mac Iain alasdair.maciain at snet.net
Thu Dec 10 14:09:55 PST 1998

Christi Redeker wrote:

> They are extremely close, sort of.  I met a wonderful lady who was a tuchux
> that was visiting a friend of mine in Al-Barran 5 years ago.  She wore fur
> (of all types) and threatened anyone (jokingly) who came near her.  She
> guaranteed me a place as an honored slave in her camp if I ever went to
> Pennsic because of my cooking.

I have a bit of a hard time finding slavery amusing in this context, but
I guess a compliment is a compliment. I believe Seneca said it best,
roughly translated into English, "He who has learned to die has learned
how not to be a slave."

> She was one of the only ladies in Tuchux
> camp that were not "slaves" to the men in camp and only one of four women at
> the time that was allowed to carry a knife in camp, because "slaves" were
> not able to carry live steel or any weapon.

How do they cook then?

> But when I told the gentleman
> that I was dating at the time that I was going to camp with her the next
> year at Tuchux camp for at least a couple of days he was offended and ready
> to lead a war party up the hill to rescue me from the barbarians.
>
> All in all, after his and I's break up.  I think I would have rather been
> friends with her than him in the long run.

As I said elsewhere, the Tuchux are like many large groups who are
composed primarily of decent, honorable people, with a few morons
sprinkled in to give them a dubious rep.

Adamantius
Crown Province of Østgardr, East Kingdom

Argent, an owl displayed guardant sable, between three pheons inverted
gules, all within a bordure sable.
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com