SC - SC_cool elizabethan info!

William Seibert a14h at zebra.net
Fri Dec 11 07:44:16 PST 1998

Ras said:
>The Tuchux are among the most honorable people you can know. They are generous
>and helpful and are REQUIORED by their organization to become SCA members.
>When ever I remember to bring my 'bribe' , I have experienced the best
>hospitality st 'Chuc' camp than in the majority of other SCA camps. The safest
>person st Pennsic to meet after dark if you are a female is a Tuchux who is
>honor bound to see you safely returned to your camp or else escorted to your
>destination.

I'm so glad someone eventually explained the Tuchux, I've been wondering
what they were ever since I joined the SCA list community.

My prevailing memory is that the Gor books were generally identified by a
noxious, pervasive and extremely unpleasant sexism (weren't they the ones
where all the women wore collars and chains? )  From various comments it
sounds as though the Tuchux  recreate at least part of this as well,
although I would have thought it was a bit out of place in the  SCA
environment.  Though I suppose, if you're going to go off on the feminist
kick, Gor attitudes to women are really only a logical progression from the
medieval chivalric ideal - a different kind of objectification.  At least,
from what Ras says, the Tuchux seem to be emphasising the protective aspects
over the possessive/repressive.
(aargh, didn't mean to rant, please email me privately if you want to argue,
this is getting horribly OT)

Melisant

Melisant de Huguenin  *  Jessica Tiffin * melisant at iafrica.com
Seneschal, Shire of Adamastor, Drachenwald (Cape Town, South Africa)
Sable, three owls, wings elevated, argent, each maintaining a willow slip vert.