SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #1133

Ian Gourdon agincort at raex.com
Sun Dec 13 07:53:32 PST 1998

>1) Decide at the beginning whether you are planning this affair to make
>money for a worthy cause or purely for social purposes. The approach for
>one, obviously, is different from the approach for the other.

<<I'm not sure SCA feasts should be money making projects.  I think the
decision for most of us might be "can I loose money and how much?">>

Our Exchequer takes great exception to this theory. Our Marche of
Gwyntarian (Midrealm) has a mandate of sorts, to budget as carefully as
possible (usually via a test feast), set a firm feast attendance limit,
and price on the assumption that about 25% of the feast will not sell
(there are always some who will look for Chinese, no matter what...).
While not written in stone, newer cooks pretty much have to promise to
this. We rarely have to 'blame the cook' if the event doesn't at least
break even.
- --
Ian Gourdon of Glen Awe
- - Companion of the order of the Greenwood Company
http://web.raex.com/~agincort