SC - Latin for all occassions

Seton1355@aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Wed Dec 16 10:39:34 PST 1998

Russell Gilman-Hunt wrote:

> Hmmm....
> > Buddha's Birthday is the 21st, IIRC. :_) As is Krishna's and
> > andMithra's. :-)
> > It appears as if God was born everywhere at the same time, so
> > HappyHolidays
> > to all is the order of the day. ;-)Ras
>
> I actually was reflecting on this the other day.  Why isn't Easter
> here at the Winter Solstice?  Easter is the death/rebirth day, right?
> And, so is the Winter Solstice?

Probably because Easter is _theoretically_ the commemoration of a
historical event, rather than a festival fulfilling the need to explain
and commemorate natural phenomena.

Now while we have no real idea, as far as I know, where the
anniversaries of the births of the above religiously and socially
significant figures occurs in our calendar, Easter is closely tied in
with Passover, which is itself theoretically a commemoration of
historical events.

Now all we need to know is when, during the year, the Exodus occurred... .

On the other hand, as regards Easter, we can tie it in with Spring
planting rituals. Check your copy of The Golden Bough.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com