SC - barley

Laura C Minnick lainie at gladstone.uoregon.edu
Wed Dec 16 21:35:26 PST 1998

Bear,

When do folks start putting caraway seed in rye bread?  Or poppy seed on
rolls, etc., or adding nuts and other 'good stuff' to various breads?  Do
we know any of this, with so few bread recipes?

BTW, when I went looking for barley in German stores I couldn't find it,
and one store keeper told me that, as a result of wars, and having to eat
whatever they could get, barley is now out of fashion in any form but
animal fodder.  Even the old-fashioned farmers won't eat it.  Interesting
to see a side-light on things that influence food fashions.

Regards,

Allison
allilyn at juno.com, Barony Marche of the Debatable Lands, Pittsburgh, PA
Kingdom of Aethelmearc