SC - bread experiment

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Dec 19 22:12:11 PST 1998

- --------------78313F41A00691C51F8B8B2B

Bingo! The very one I need!!!
The last time I read a reference to it, it was described as having been made
with spelt, so as my other choice would be standard modern whole wheat flour, I
will opt for the roman spelt first, and if it doesnt turn out well Ill revert to
modern wheat. I was wondering why the griddlecake/scone treatment? Couldn't I
just bake them? i am working on[well, to be exact I am having Rob do the labor]
a roman beehive oven in the back yard as part of the BBQ setup...and it does
strike me as the sort of baked good you would buy from a commercial baker.

Must strikes me as being a flavoring rather than a levening, as it doesnt come
out and say to let them rise, but as we all understand, they left things out
figuring you would know about the step...I think I will give it a try this week
and see what happens.

Now, any recipes for barley flour?

margali

> I think you are talking about mustacei.  Here's a recipe from Cato by way of
> Giacosa.  I wonder if the must was used as flavoring or as a leavening in
> this case.  Spelt may be a little rough for this recipe, but it is worth a
> try.  Bear

- --------------78313F41A00691C51F8B8B2B

<HTML>

<P>Bingo! The very one I need!!!
<BR>The last time I read a reference to it, it was described as having
been made with spelt, so as my other choice would be standard modern whole
wheat flour, I will opt for the roman spelt first, and if it doesnt turn
out well Ill revert to modern wheat. I was wondering why the griddlecake/scone
treatment? Couldn't I just bake them? i am working on[well, to be exact
I am having Rob do the labor] a roman beehive oven in the back yard as
part of the BBQ setup...and it does strike me as the sort of baked good
you would buy from a commercial baker.

<P>Must strikes me as being a flavoring rather than a levening, as it doesnt
come out and say to let them rise, but as we all understand, they left
things out figuring you would know about the step...I think I will give
it a try this week and see what happens.

<P>Now, any recipes for barley flour?

<P>margali
<BR><TT></TT>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>I think you are talking about mustacei.  Here's
a recipe from Cato by way of
<BR>Giacosa.  I wonder if the must was used as flavoring or as a leavening
in
<BR>this case.  Spelt may be a little rough for this recipe, but it
is worth a
<BR>try.  Bear</BLOCKQUOTE>
 </HTML>

- --------------78313F41A00691C51F8B8B2B--