SC - bread experiment

Sun Dec 20 06:54:26 PST 1998

Ann & Les Shelton wrote:

> Adamantius is correct in implying that Southerners are finicky about
> their biscuits; an admitted "Yankee" biscuit would go over about as well
> as the New York City picante in the "Pace Thick and Chunky" commercials.

My biscuits have been Passed and Approved by several Southerners (the
only complaint being that I tend to cut them too small, largely a
function of the size of the jelly glass available ;  )   ), but I still
think it advisable to qualify them as a mere simulation of the real
thing. If the situation were reversed and my friend from Arkansas were
to turn out The Perfect Chowder, I'd be happy, but ever so slightly
surprised. I'm a big believer in genetics, and will always admit my
limitations. ;  )

Pace Foods, BTW, committers of the gratuitous New-York-City-bashing
referenced above, have offices in Texas, but are a subsidiary of
Campbell Soups, based in Camden, New Jersey (and as far as I know, it's
where their factories are).

> My 88 year old grandmother in Mississippi still makes hers from scratch
> and has truly scathing remarks for "store-bought" biscuits.  However, in
> spite of it's dubious heritage, I'm willing to give Adamantius' recipe a
> try {even if I can never admit where it came from without losing face in
> the community!}.

Hey, I live in the Southern Region of the East Kingdom...does that count
for nothing? My Dad was born in the South Bronx... .

Enjoy the recipe, though, and Happy Holidays!

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com