SC - bad food joke

Snodgrass, Will WillS at exch.HamiltonTN.gov
Mon Dec 21 04:29:18 PST 1998

"Decker, Terry D." wrote:

> Although it has been a few years since I last sampled it, the finest salsa
> around used to be made at the Main Street Cafe in Silver City, New Mexico.
> Pace is pitiful by comparison, useful as a cheap flavoring for mediocre corn
> chips.

Ya think?

Seriously, I have a very simple rule: salsas must not contain vinegar in
lieu of citrus juice, any more than they should contain capsaicin
extract because chilis are too expensive (whoops, I forgot: some of them
do). Cilantro is also a virtual necessity. Read the ingredients,
folks...I won't even discuss the question of whether any tomatoes should
be real and ripe.

It's interesting, though, that the salsas cruda and picante I encounter
in restaurants (and occasionally in the homes of people of Mexican
descent) seem to be thinner and more homogeneous than the bottled junk
we find in the markets. The variations in style are obvious, but I doubt
most salsas are being eaten on fried sixths of corn tortillas, for that matter.

One of the best, albeit not hugely [Tex-Mex] traditional, salsas I ever
had was made from roasted tomatillos with orange juice, red onion,
chipotles, and cilantro, in, of all places, Continental Insurance's
Executive Dining Suite. I make a _fairly_ respectable salsa cruda
myself, in, well, you know -- that place... .

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --
Phil & Susan Troy