SC - Fw: [Mid] Cook book

Bronwynmgn@aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Thu Dec 24 10:19:08 PST 1998

> Try Anna Comnena (don't remember the name of the work, but the author's
> name should get the title for you) -- she was the aformentioned "Emperor
> Irene"'s grandaughter, I believe.

The Alexiad.  It was a history of her father's (Alexius Comnenus I) life.

Anna may have been related to Irene, but there is a good 200 year gap
between them.  Irene became regent for her son in 780, was deposed in 802
and died on Lesbos in 803.  Anna was born at the end of the 11th Century and
died in the middle of the 12th Century.

Lineal dissent may be questionable as Issac Comnenus siezed power in
Byzantium in 1057, establishing the Comnenus dynasty.

> Also, remember that Byzantium grew out of Roman civilization, and at
> some points streched as far west as Ravili (I believe is the name of the
> town -- it's a town in NE Italy).  I would expect at least some Roman
> influence as well, depending on how far back you go, and who you are
> calling "byzantium."
>
> toodles, margaret

The Byzantine Empire was established around 330 and lasted until 1453.  The
core of the Empire was Asia Minor and the Balkan peninsula which controlled
trade through the Dardanelles.  In the 6th Century, Justinian I expanded the
boundaries of the Empire to include most of Italy destroying the Ostrogoth
Empire there.  By the end of the 6th Century effectively controlled much of
the eastern Mediterranean.  The Empire's primary enemies were the Lombards
in the West and the Persians in the East.  Islam and the Turks later
replaced the Persians.  Between the 7th and 11th Centuries the empire lost
ground to its various enemies, but retained its hold on the core provinces.
There were resurgences, but none of Byzantium's Emperors regained the
boundries set by Justinian.

Since Byzantium maintained relations with various Italian city states even
after they lost Italy, I would expect Italian cooking from Apicius to the
15th Century to have influenced them.

Bear