SC - pork roast

Laura C Minnick lainie at gladstone.uoregon.edu
Sat Dec 26 14:19:22 PST 1998

>From my file of cooks' recipes from the list:  I believe the recipe is
from Anne Marie

MARJORAM COOKIES

Marjoram cookies? This may sound very odd, but the raisens and fresh
herbs
combine for a wonderfully sweet, but not cloying taste. The fish shapes
are
very cute, if you can manage them.

To make fritters like fishes: [Epilario, #232] Blanch thy almonds [here
is
a transcription error about adding chopped fish. It's not in the original
Italian] and stampe together with Currans, Sugar, Parsely and Margerum
chopped small with good spice and saffron, then have in a readinesse a
fine
paste, and making it in what forme you wil you may fill them with this
composition, then frie them in oile: they make likewise be baked dry in a
frying pan, and when they are baked, they will shew like fishes.

Our Version::
Make a batch of your favorite shortbread cookie dough, or use
refridgerated
sugar cookie dough.
Filling:
1 c. blanched almonds
1/2 c each raisens and currants
1 c powdered  sugar
3 T dry marjoram, or 1 T fresh
1/2 c. fresh parsley
4 threads of saffron
1 tsp "good spice", ie a mix of cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, etc
Combine all the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor, and blend
until the stuff begins to stick together.Makes 2c. filling.
Roll out the pastry dough, and cut out shapes. Fish shapes are
appropriate.
Place a dollop of filling on the bottom crust, cover with a top crust,
and
seal the edges with a fork dipped in water. Bake at 375o for 10-15 min,
or
until lightly brown.

(Note: I used commercial sugar cookie dough and it wouldn't make the
"sandwich"
so I just mixed the lot together. Still came out very tasty.)

Regards,

Allison
allilyn at juno.com, Barony Marche of the Debatable Lands, Pittsburgh, PA
Kingdom of Aethelmearc